What is print2mould?
Basically, print2mould is a method whereby 3D printing is used to make injection moulds. This is especially useful when prototypes are to be made or a small series that is to consist of the material planned for the later large series.
These components can also be made directly with the 3D printing method, of course, but this is only worthwhile up to certain number of components and the range of materials that can be chosen compared to the injection moulding method is still limited. Depending on how many parts are needed, their complexity and the material required, the injection mould can be made with different 3D printing methods.
Stereolithography (SLA): ideal for making prototypes or small series of up to approximately 500 components.
Selective Laser Melting (SLM): for small series and test phases for up to 5,000 pieces
The advantages of print2mold:
- Injection mould made within 1 to 3 days
- Free choice of material for the manufacture of prototypes or small series
- Especially fine details and complex structures in the mould can be implemented very easily with 3D printing
- Cost saving compared to milled or eroded moulds
- Changes to the final component possible without the costs for a new milled mould being incurred